Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reasons Why I Thought Yesterday That I Might Have Asperger's Syndrome

Really just one reason. This article I read in Psychology Today for some reason. But here’s a list of symptoms I read about in that article that made me self-diagnose.

  • Would rather stay home and work jigsaw puzzle than dress up for a night out
  • Trouble with spatial orientation and direction
  • Can imitate or fake way through social situations
  • Wry sense of humor
  • Cool demeanor
  • A little too thorough at times
  • Never had a lot of friends but usually has few close friends
  • Likes puzzles and logic
  • When watching movie/tv, has to turn volume way up to hear dialogue but way down when there is background noise
  • Most comfortable being alone
  • Not lonely very often (and then usually just wishes to be with certain person or people)
  • Maintaining eye contact is a challenge
  • Not a hugger


Symptoms I do not have:

  • Series of obsessions
  • Difficulty changing directions or actions at musical cues (in other words - can’t dance)
  • Animal lover
  • Only brutal violence can generate emotional reaction
  • Being a boy

5 comments:

BEM1212 said...

Just think the next person that googles any of those symptoms (very likely me) will stumble upon your list.

dlm said...

I just self-diagnosed myself. Based on this list I also suffer from assburgers.

Boxcar said...

Um, me three...

BEM1212 said...

Me four? I feel like y'all already thought I have it. As noted above, if I ever google the symptoms I will surely happen upon this and freak out. That volume one is strange, and on point. Also the eye contact.

Does anyone watch Amazing Race? I think we are all a lot funnier than that Asperger's guy. Although he tries to be funny. "Tear."

Devs said...

"Not a hugger"