Tuesday, June 11, 2013

SYTYCD - Early Favorites

I was just about to sit down to watch the Vegas callbacks (so exciting) but realized I never put my running list of favorites from the audition round out. I intended to cull further and include video links, but that ain't gonna happen (and besides, if it were anything other than dance, reader-Julie (as opposed to listmaker-Julie) probably wouldn't watch a video anyway).

Faves:
  • Jade Zuberi - animation
  • Mackenzie Dustman* - contemporary
  • Jennifer Jones* - jazz
  • Tommy Tibball* - contemporary
  • Jennie Begley - contemporary
  • Anthony Savoy* - contemporary (the one who gracefully accepted being sent to choreography even though they fully intended to send him straight to Vegas, duh, they were just showing what humility looks like)
  • Kate Kapshandy* - ballroom (the one with the long face and long blonde ponytail who's a national champion of some sort(s))
  • Caleb Brauner - contemporary (bowtie guy)
  • Jasmine Harper* - contemporary (Cyrus's ex gf)
  • Jenna Johnson - ballroom (danced with the 17 year-old guy)
* Predict Top 20

Also great:
  • Amy Yakima - contemporary
  • Alex Kessinger - contemporary
  • Misha & Merilla - ballroom
  • Jason Kidd - white guy breaker
  • Alexis Juliano - tap (with a half shirt and a bellyring to "Mr. Bojangles" but pretty impressive nonetheless) (but also: it is pretty hard for a tap dancer to do well in, say, ballroom)

Wow, what a boring list except for me to look back and see how wrong I am. I'm pretty sure there are about 50 great dancers who've gotten no airtime yet.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ok, I lost a real favorite tonight. Jennifer Jones, the former ballet/now jazz dancer that looks like Jennifer Beals, got cut. So did Tommy Tibball, Misha, Mariia, and Caleb. I never saw some of these people, but cutting from 159 to 33 and I've still got Mackenzie (though the editors seem to prefer Amy Y), Jade, Jasmine, and Jenna. In my also-people: Amy Y and Alexis the tapper. I'm pretty excited about Jade the animator and Jasmine. Plus I still think I'm right about Mackenzie, and as good as Amy is, she's not nearly as compelling. Next week: the green mile!

Julie said...

And Fik-Shun is adorbs. He's the only one I didn't call out from auditions.