Thursday, February 20, 2014

Movies I Watched at Home in 2014, List #1 (January)

I am continuing my list of movies I watched (from start to finish, no matter how boring). Same deal as before -- chronological order of watching with a comment or two. 
  • The Master (2012) A-  /  I think I'd put Joaquin Phoenix on a list of all-time great performances. I went back and watched that "don't blink" scene three times at least.
  • Dog Day Afternoon (1975) A+  / Thanks to my general aversion to Al Pacino yelling, I've repeatedly put this off. Well, I am an idiot.  As others have said, it is a masterpiece (so is he).
  • Raging Bull (1980) BFat Robert DeNiro lived up to the hype.
  • I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) B-Could someone please find a way to guarantee that veterans have jobs when they return home?  This movie is 80 years old for crying out loud.
  • Lifeboat (1944)  A / Like Rope, it is so much  more than the gimmick (but the gimmick works too).
  • Donnie Brasco (1997) B / Two annoying but amazing actors being nothing but amazing.
  • The Last Detail (1973) B+  /  Potentially annoying premise that is mostly amazing.
  • The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) A+ /  Ticket for one, please.
  • Patton (1970) B  /  See below.
  • Saving Private Ryan (1998) A- / The bookends of this movie are everything I feared. And see further below.
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) C-I wish we had just gone to Tijuana with Madge.
  • On the Waterfront (1954) A+  I'm gonna use the M word! 
  • The Third Man (1950) A- / I have watched this at least three times in my life and my memory of it is always similar to how you can but can't remember a dream. So I will watch it again, and probably again. And enjoy it again. But then forget why.
  • Side Effects (2013) B+    Preposterous, precise, efficient, fun. I was actually giddy.
  • Interiors (1978) B+   Good grief, Geraldine Page is the best. Devastating.
  • Tom Jones (1963) C-  / I think the lesson here is I do not enjoy romps.
  • Stardust Memories (1980) B / Charlotte Rampling. Did anything else happen? I seriously don't remember. 
  • The Whole Town's Talking (1935) C+  This started off cracking. Then someone left Jean Arthur at the office and it turned into a snoozer.
  • Separate Tables (1958) COh man, Deborah Kerr was horrible! I can't get enough of that pathetic look she's working. And I can't believe David Niven (and I love him) won an Oscar for this. I should have gotten worked up over that old biddy and her bullshit but I've saved all that particular emotion this month for The Children's Hour. Let's have a redo: This whole movie should have been about fantastic Miss Meacham seducing Pat, while Burt Lancaster and Rita Hayworth sexed it up in the background. <-- A+
  • My Favorite Year (1982) C+Pretty much a romp. But a romp with Peter O'Toole. But also with the guy from Perfect Strangers.
  • To Hell and Back (1955) A-To Hell and Back (50s) and Patton (70s) and Saving Private Ryan (90s) make for a fascinating trio in portrayal/perceptions of WWII.  Watch 'em!
  • Lady for a Day (1933) B+ /   This movie could best be compared to standing in a long, sometimes slow-moving, frustrating line waiting for something entirely satisfying (e.g., Pork-Chop-on-a-Stick line at Wurstfest).
  • Carnal Knowledge (1971) A-Rita Moreno, siempre viva!
  • The Children's Hour (1961) AThat little bitch has got to be an all-time top-10 villain. Flames.
  • It Started with Eve (1941) A / To quote myself talking about Ball of Fire  last year --  "Considering my favorite movie ever is What's Up, Doc?, it's pretty ridiculous I just now watched this. Check it out and count the homages. With that fancy word I will conclude this nonsense."



2 comments:

Boxcar said...

I have too many comments and questions so I will just say that I love these and want more. Also, where can I watch It Started With Eve?

BEM1212 said...

Let's have comments and questions! I mean, it's not like you're taking up valuable time used by the other 3 followers of this blog.

I don't know where you can watch it but I bought it, so you can watch it here next time if nothing else.