Friday, May 24, 2013

Movies I Watched at Home in 2013, List #2

Following up on this list, I have continued to watch movies at home although with much less frequency in the past couple of months. Keeping up with things though, here is the list with some comments and pointless grades.
  •  Annie Hall - A; It had been a while since I watched this so I watched it again during TCMs Oscar movie run. As good as ever. 
  • Grand Hotel - A-; It was delightful and Joan Crawford was amazing and it's funny how movies made in the early 30s can somehow seem more edgy and interesting and modern that most of the junk getting made these days.
  • Woman of the Year - B+; I didn't love this but out of all the romantic comedies in the world, I'll take this one over all but about 3 (not counting screwball comedies of course). Again, movies were just a lot more clever back then.
  • To Be or Not to Be - A+; I've loved the Mel Brooks remake since high school, and I've long thought it was one of the funniest comedies of the 80s, or ever. I would have thought most of the *war humor* came from the mind of Mel Brooks, but that's not the case. It is amazing that in this movie that was released in 1942, there could be this many bold jokes and that it is so incredibly good and played so well. Ernst Lubitsch is a genius. Jack Benny is perfect. Carole Lombard is (as everyone (should) knows) one of the funniest women ever. Robert Stack is hot. This is a masterpiece (I said it!).
  • Murder, My Sweet (aka Farewell, My Lovely) - B+; At first I kinda thought this was sloppy and dull but then I realized that it was exactly what a Philip Marlowe movie should be. It seems to me he is kind of a jerk and maybe not even good at his job. This movie makes that pretty clear, and after it was over I liked it better for it.  (I would be interested in other opinions on this.)
  • The Man in the White Suit - B+; All I remember is it didn't make a lot of sense and was weird. I think I wrote down B+ because it was a movie from 1951 that didn't make a lot of sense and was weird.
  • The Narrow Margin - B; I don't remember a whole lot about it which probably means I was sleepy when I watched it or it could just mean I was bored. But the B says I must have liked it. I suppose I should watch it again.*
  • The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - C; Boy, do I love Barbara Stanwyck, but I did not love this. She can take some credit for a better grade. It was too long and there was quite a bit of "who cares?" happening but the end was satisfying.
  • Witness for the Prosecution - B+; Going back through these now I see a theme with these movies all being something different than expected (twists!). This was pretty good and I might be giving higher grades again than I should simply for the ladies. This time, Marlene Dietrich.
  • Sweet Bird of Youth - B+; I guess I wasn't giving out grades just for the ladies because Geraldine Page gets an A+ for this and Paul Newman - I don't know if I even know how good his acting was but who cares  - is also A+. Indeed. I am excited to watch this one several more times. 
  • Hannibal - F. What the fuck. I can't believe this many people that I like could be involved in something I hate this much. For the record, Gary Oldman is my favorite actor EVER. He actually did a pretty awesome job in this but being good at something shitty is not something I am prone to give high praise to (especially when the character is that grody). Every single thing in or related to this movie is inexplicable. The only good character was that mob lady that got killed in the first five minutes. Bummer. 
  • Nowhere to Go - D-; It took me four tries to get through this movie. It's so, so, so, so boring and so poorly made. It really deserves an F but I won't do it because I want Hannibal to stand alone in this list. So a D-, because Maggie Smith is in it, and because some of the shots are really remarkably pretty (but utterly without purpose (other than "hey, this will be a cool shot" apparently).  There will be a whole list (!) dedicated to this movie in an upcoming post. Stay tuned!
Side note: as I type this I am watching a marathon of Arrested Development and would like to add, Hooray!

*Edited to add: I just remembered the whole thing in a wave and I did like it, but I really hated the main character. Kudos to the women, natch.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I think the only ones I've seen are Annie Hall and Woman of the Year. I haven't watched it in a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure that Desk Set is my favorite Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn movie. Man, when they all drink Christmas champagne at work and she keeps saying the "Mexican Avenue bus" because she is tipsy, it kills me. Oh! And when she recites that poem? Trust me if you have not seen, riveting stuff. Plus Miss Emmy was the first Google.