Monday, January 9, 2012

Tidbits on getting old

Vision
 - I can't read anything up close, making it hard for me to know how long to cook my soups or take my medicine.
 - I have a very hard time reading on computers.
 - After looking at anything moderately bright, I struggle to regain focus (involving lots of bug-eyeing).

NOTE (reason for list): I have had to reformat this blog because the white-on-black is nearly impossible for me to read. Screencap of the old blog after the jump, if you're interested or nostalgic. Ideas welcome for new formats.

Hearing
 - My right ear rings constantly (three simultaneous whistles).
 - I have worn ear plugs to a concert and a football game in the past 4 months.
 - The doctor said I have "significant hearing loss." (He also asked if I worked in a factory.)

Body - other
 - My right knee creaks when I bend it.
 - So does my neck when I turn it.
 - I hold hand rails on stairs.

Misc. Taste in Things
 - When UH bought 91.7 from Rice with the intent of changing it from a student-run station into a 24-hour classical station, I was so pissed. I signed petitions! But that was over 6 months ago. I am now totally content with my classical station.
 - I also listen to jazz a lot (much to Julie's and Jon's disappointment).
 - I love beets. 
 - My hair is hideous and I have no idea how it should look. Same goes for my clothes.
 - I own CDs with 4 of the "awesome songs" Julie mentioned in the post below. (I guess I could have stopped at "I own CDs").

Kids today
 - presented without comment

What the heck is that?
 - Spotify
 - Dubstep
 - Lana Del Rey
 - All these things that work through the TV (other than the Playstation and the Netflix, which my brother got me hooked up on like I was already in a nursing home and now I am that old person who can work that one device perfectly but don't change anything!!!)

 

2 comments:

BEM1212 said...

Another tidbit. The star of my high school football team (when I was a junior and Julie was a sophomore (in the pep squad (!))) has a son playing in the national championship game.

Boxcar said...

a. I threw my back out playing ping pong.
b. see a