Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 1: Television I've Been Watching...

  • The Blacklist - After the pilot I thought this would quickly become one of my favorite shows.  It does so well what many others have failed to do - it makes a villain the protagonist.  And Spader does not disappoint.  Unfortunately, everyone else in the cast DOES.  I honestly hope in every episode that the other cast members will get killed off one by one.  But they don't.  And that's why this show isn't very good.  I'm 16 episodes in so I might as well finish the season but don't bother.
  • Orphan Black - Wow.  I watched the pilot a few months ago and wasn't that impressed.  Then I picked up it up again and, needless to say, it's amazing.  And she is the best actress ever.
  • Hannibal - Season two is, so far, much better than season one.  Less Will and more Hannibal I say.  I just hope they eventually get back on track with the books.  Maybe I'm the only one but it's distracting considering I know how the story is supposed to go.
  • The Following - If you do not watch the Following you are doing yourself a disservice.  It might be the worst show ever that I can't stop watching.  Nothing makes sense or even remotely has an inkling of believability.  But for some reason I cannot wait to see what happens next.  And you kind of, without knowing it, do a mystery science theater in your own mind as you watch.  Doubling entertaining.
  • True Detective - Perfect.
  • Justified - I swear this show gets better with every season.  I hope everyone is watching this.
  • The Walking Dead - I gave up on this show after season two and then recently picked it up again.  It's not my favorite but it's pretty damn good.
  • Crossing Lines - A ridiculous show that's entirely watchable.  I can picture the pitch right now..."it's just like every other crime show except it crosses borders."  
  • Brooklyn 99 - I LOVE this show.  That is all.
  • Chicago P.D. - I don't know why.
  • The Mentalist - I have no idea what they are planning on doing with this show.  He already caught Red John.  But hey, when you've been with a show for seven seasons, might as well see it through.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm not watching anything particularly excellent that I can think of, but I am watching American Idol for the first time in years. Off and on, anyway, and lots of times I end up fast forwarding through the performances to get to the good part--Harry Connick, Jr's comments. So please take this as a formal request for a 2014 Steve/Idol list at the appropriate time.

Boxcar said...

Well, there have been PUH-LENTY of opportunities but it's just so painful...maybe I'll sacrifice one night for the sake of L.A.

BEM1212 said...

Thorough commenting:
- I wanted to like The Blacklist but I can't. Those agents are awful and that husband (and actor) is so dull. And that man eating an apple... I stopped watching but I read summaries to see why he gives a shit about that snoozy lady.
- I am glad you caught up on Orphan Black.
- I just caught up on Hannibal yesterday. I am obsessed. I did not like it when it first started and stopped watching after 5 or 6 episodes. I went back and watched it from the beginning with a fresh outlook and I love it.
- I watched the pilot of The Following and I gave up. Probably won't give that one another chance.
- I liked TD but not as much as you, natch.
- Thank you! For Justified.
- I finally think TWD is as good as everyone else always said it was(FTR - they were wrong. It's just gotten better).
- Not heard of.
- Want to watch; haven't.
- Heard of but have ignored.
- You and Austen and this show... I wish I'd watched it all along.

YOU FORGOT SHERLOCK! (Thanks for that one too)