Monday, March 3, 2014

Movies I Watched at Home in 2014, List #2 (February)

I didn't watch a lot of movies this month on account of the Olympics, houseguests, The Sopranos (season 3), Nurse Jackie (season 4), and the return of semi-compelling Sunday night TV.  But here's the few I got for you this month, and my DVR is 85% full of 31 days of Oscar for March catch-up viewing.
  • From Here to Eternity (1953) C+ /  It's hard to deny the effect of showing the calm-before-the-storm (and knowing the storm is coming), but I'd prefer a less overwrought calm.  
  • Charly (1968) D / Totally absurd. I wanted to turn it off when the opening credit montage included Cliff Robertson swinging on a swingset with his tongue sticking out.
  • Blue Sky (1994) F / Every bit as shitty as I remembered. The horseride into the nuclear testing grounds (or whatever) has got to be top-5 in ridiculous movie moments.
  • Cover Girl (1944) B+ / This story alone is probably an F. But add up the costumes (!), the production design, the singing, the dancing, Gene Kelly and his profile, and every, single, marvelous thing about Eve Arden and you get to a solid B+.
  • The Search (1948) B+ / Tears in my eyes 8 minutes in (and sustained).

3 comments:

Boxcar said...

That is a short list. And why would you sit through Blue Sky again? And where can I watch Charly? I miss cable.:(

BEM1212 said...

I sat through Blue Sky again because I wanted to see if I still, in 2014, resent Jessica Lange beating Miranda Richardson for an best actress Oscar almost 20 years later. Verdict: YES.

Because I know I still resent her beating Teri Garr for supporting actress in Tootsie.

Anyway, I wanted to see if this were true especially in light of the recent kicking of ass that Jessica Lange has been doing on the TV. Everything of late has been great, but I really think AHS: Asylum is a super-tip-top-notch performance.

The performance in Blue Sky really would've fit better in a AHS-type story, so when she rode out on that horse in New Mexico she either got nuclear radiation or maybe met up with some UFOs because it really is just off the wall insane.

BEM1212 said...

Oh and speaking of off the wall and resenting Oscar wins........

......must I point out that "Charly" beat fkn Peter O'Toole in The Lion in Winter, which if you have not seen Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn in The Lion in Winter, I implore you,. please do......

I don't know where you can watch all of Charly but I found the first 10 minutes of Charly on youtube and that's all you really need. At least watch the opening credits in full. Here ya go........... http://youtu.be/loi3gDeGTwU