Friday, April 26, 2013

Blame Canada?

In the spirit of Boxcar's questionable list, here is my own. I found a befuddling piece of paper in the middle of several pages of notes I took at a conference in Chicago two years ago. The page contains only these words, and they are listed along the left margin in the vertical center of the page.

washroom
project
process
Dundas
serviette
expropriation
mullet

I can only guess that I was watching a Canadian speaker and making note of Canadian pronunciations and...hairstyles?

6 comments:

Boxcar said...

What the hell was he giving a speech on? Sounds awesome.

BEM1212 said...

Do you really think someone said "serviette"? And you know what it was? And how it has an alternative pronunciation? And how to spell it?

I am impressed. And I've been saying since I read this list.

Julie said...

I think I had lunch with some Canadians who said "serviette which is what they call napkins. I knew bc it's also French. Then I guess? I was listening to a bemulleted Canadian speaker who said things like PRO(long O)ject

BEM1212 said...

Aw man, my comment didn't print correctly. Stupid HTML. Above, I said:

"I've been saying "/wash'-ruhm/" ever since I read this list."

Now I will be saying PROject.

Julie said...

It's also that they say washroom at all. Never restroom or bathroom. I will stop now. Sorry
(Said like Alex (Trebeck or P. Keaton))

BEM1212 said...

Or Mr. Drummond RIP