Sunday, April 14, 2013

Reasons why P. Jenks is one of my favorite people on this planet

  • He makes me laugh.  And not in a "he's very funny" kind of way but he ALWAYS makes me laugh even when he's not here.  He's always in my head.  Everything I watch or listen to or see makes me think about what he would think or say and that makes me laugh.  That's rare.
  • He has supported me and everyone else in everything I/they do.  That's not to mean that others don't, just that he has.  I can't speak for him publicly but as far as I know he has always supported me in my pursuit of writing and considering how smart he is I take that as high compliment.
  • Movies are my life and he has taught me more about movies than anyone else (including myself).  As many of you know I have a horrible memory yet I can vividly recall almost every movie outing we have done together including random movies on cable hungover and his insight has always made me smarter. 
  • And speaking of smarter, he is the smartest person I know.  I am constantly amazed at his trivial knowledge but more importantly, his recent (past 10 years or so) open-mindedness has propelled him into a new level of intelligence that is unparalleled.  And he read one of my scripts before I woke up and gave me incredible insight (considering it took me ten years to write I found that impressive).
  • He has great taste.  I guess that's a personal opinion but I think anyone reading can agree that P. Jenks has probably lent more to the cause of "all of us being smarter and having better taste in things" than anybody else in this list.  If you disagree or are hurt by that statement I apologize.  But I like to think that I have good taste and P. Jenks is directly responsible for most of that.
  • Everyone loves him.  Everyone.  I know that he, sometimes, feels like that's not true but I've never known another human being to be so likeable and understanding and funny and smart.  Personally I can't stand most people and won't waste the energy having a conversation with them but he always does and he truly sees the best in people and I am in awe of that.
  • He can make the most boring afternoon memorable.
  • When I think about our group (this being one of them)...he is, without question, the glue.  I guess I should have just said "he is the glue".
  • Nobody else on this planet makes me feel like I'm part of something special and that life is just one giant inside joke between us.  I see it in movies (poorly done) and tv shows but with P. Jenks, it's real. And I think he has that with a lot of people and normally I would be jealous but that just makes me love him that much more.
  • When we first started getting to know each other I went to the grocery store with him because he had to go re-buy all of his groceries (because he accidentally left without them and instead of just going back and admitting it he chose to re-pay for everything).  I have never forgotten that and it has become a fond memory.
  • He is, most likely, not happy that I mentioned the above incident.  Fitting.  Yet I'm pretty sure everyone in this group either knows about it or can see it happening.
  • When he came to visit me in California he made an impact on all of my friends and, more importantly, made me feel better about living here with one sentence.  One sentence.  That's impressive.
  • He loves his family more than anything else in the world.
  • When we first met and became besties I never thought I would be able to bring all of my friends together (Jim, Ryan, etc) but he made it happen.  Again.  Glue.
  • He makes me want to read more.
  • He has eyes in the back of his head.
  • Someday I think he will get to live out his dream of producing movies.  With me.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow. Love this.
And am looking forward to more Boxcar lists!