Friday, May 1, 2009

bummers

  • My A/C is broken and won't be fixed until next week, at the earliest. It will probably cost a lot of money.
  • Monday's ridiculous rain storm caused water damage in the downstairs bedroom and now I have a hole in the ceiling.
  • This seems like a lot to me since I have only made three mortgage payments.
  • My watch stopped keeping time. I got that in Jamaica 4 years ago, so that's not too bad.
  • Last week I went to New Orleans and when I got back to the airport my car was dead. It is 7 months old, so that's pretty dumb.
  • Three days ago my phone broke, completely. It is 5 months old.
The bright side:

My constant reference to the movie *The Money Pit* has given me new opportunities to discuss the comedic brilliance of Shelley Long with others. Although no one seems to know what I am talking about.

Also, today my co-worker Monica touched my phone. Like, that is all she did, touched it. And now it works. I had made the rounds with tech support and tried all sorts of touching and rebooting and reactivating and it was still dead. So I am wondering if I should have Monica come over and take care of the rest of these things.

I am off to a wedding.

4 comments:

Boxcar said...

Jon likes this.
But also would like to add:

at least you have an a/c. I have to tolerate whatever temperature my step dad deems cheapest. usually freezing or hot as blazes.

at least you are a home owner instead of living with your parents.

at least you have a watch.

at least you have a car.

at least you have a phone.

BAM! I win the loser game!!!!!!

robo1936 said...

I have not yet found someone who likes Shelley Long and yet I think she is terrific and its nice to find someone who thinks she is great as well. The two bits I loved in the Money Pit is when she has that bust up with Tom Hanks on the stairs in front of all the workmen and then yells at them "Get back to work" and at the marriage ceremony when she comes out in her wedding dress and gives that wonderful smile that she has that no one can compare with. She,s wonderful. For the writer of this blog remember that the good thing about bad things is they always come to an end.

Punky said...

I’m claiming the money pit. PJ will understand after this weekend. I also love the movie, however Matt has banned it from our household because its similarities to our house/life make him sad (without the sleeping with the ex part).

BEM1212 said...

I have been meaning to comment on the previous three comments for a while, but have been sidetracked, until now...

1. Jon, can we please write a movie about two friends who think the other one has it worse and they both think these thoughts at the same time (or share their grievances on a blog), and then - oh yes - they switch places........all Freaky Friday/ 17 Again (your new favorite movie, right?). I think you should be played by Robert Downey Jr and maybe I should be Neil Patrick Harris. I can't wait for you to cast your mom and Steve. I think we need to post this at MFS soon.

2. Thanks, Robo1936. I have been a Shelley Long fan for a long time and in the spirit of List Anything will give you my favorite Shelley Long performances, in order
-- Outrageous Fortune (this is #1, hands down. so, so funny. One of my favorite comedies)
-- Cheers
-- The Money Pit
-- Troop Beverly Hills
-- Don't Tell Her It's Me (probably being too sentimental with this #5 pick. maybe this should be Dr. T.)

Thanks also for the comments on the way things were going. I am working on getting them all fixed. I appreciate the kind words. Which brings me to...

3. Aimee - I see your point. But, your house looked to be in fine shape and you seem to have most of everything under control. Which is impressive. I am excited about the outcome. Thanks for letting me stay with you!