Wednesday, December 23, 2009

books on my parents' bookshelves

My parents have selected a few hardbacks to make the various shelves in their new home. I am used to seeing Bibles, westerns, and various books on war, Longhorn football, and God.

Here are some books I was a little surprised to see that I might read this weekend:
  • My Secret History - Paul Theroux
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy - Irving Stone
  • Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
  • Silas Marner - George Eliot
Here is one I was not so surprised to see that I might read this weekend:
  • Barney Fife's Guide to Life, Love and Self-Defense*
Here is one I was not so surprised to see (except for the fact it is a hardback) that I have already read:
  • The Pelican Brief**
* If my mom participated in List Anything, and had joined in that whole TV character thing a few months ago, I guarantee you would have seen Barney Fife on her list.

**Shut up, it was in college. And that was in 1993, and I thought it was crappy even then. But a real page-turner!

3 comments:

Boxcar said...

Everyone read The Pelican Brief, they're just too embarrassed to admit it. It's like when guys say they DIDN'T enjoy Legally Blonde. They're liars.

Julie said...

Half Price sells books by the yard for decorating purposes.
Did you read any of these? I have only read one on your list, and it's not The Pelican Brief. I absolutely HATED Silas Marner (in the 9th grade)...

BEM1212 said...

I read none of them, because I was too busy practicing my new hobby -- *amateur genealogy* aka random internet research. I am addicted. I have traced the majority of my family back to good old England! That is probably 51% correct. I am 100% sure of 20% of it.

In doing some research I found....well, I'll just make some new lists.