Monday, June 29, 2009

my lists about miami for P.Jenks friend

I received this email this morning...

Subject: Miami
Can you give me some hotels, bars, & restaurants with a brief description.
Also, what is the dress code generally like? Do women wear dresses or are pants ok?

Places to eat

  • Nemo - "casual nice" think Z Tejas or Moonshine - but Miami style. Great atmosphere, large outdoor patio. Consistently good food. I have been here on multiple trips http://www.nemorestaurant.com/
  • Blue Room - inside Delano - very nice, and pricey, but the food was amazing
  • Barton G - also pricey, but very neat atmosphere, and fun presentation on food, if you are going to go to one super expensive dinner I would maybe go here.
  • Sushi Samba - according to my aunt - best Sushi on the beach
  • Big Pink - diner food open 24 hours - huge portions - great lunch place or late night. owned by the same people as Nemo
  • Joe's Stone Crab - think traditional steak house, but with sea food. Miami institution. stone crabs are not in season during the summer
  • Nexxt Cafe - casual on Lincoln Road; salads sandwiches, burgers, etc...
  • Ice Box - small cafe off Lincoln Road - has great desserts

Bars - I know the least about this. Most of the bars are in hotels. Miami bars are a lot like Vegas bars, so a lot of table service and really into guy/girl ratio. Guys usually have to pay more to get into places or pay at all versus women. I would talk to the concierge in your hotel about what bars are good and have them offer suggestions. That is what we did the last 2 times I went and how I learned about Plunge and Prive.

  • I know the Delano and the Shore Club have great loungey poolside bars, but I don't know the names (probably no cover and table service not needed)
  • Plunge - rooftop bar on top of Ganesvoort - loungey and casual - I really liked this place. (we went early and didn't need table service)
  • The new hot "club" is in the Fountainbleu but I do not know the name of it.
  • Prive - total scene club - we had our concierge at the hotel get us a table and get us in ( I went here 2 years ago - so may not be cool anymore)

General
Lincoln Road is an outdoor shopping/ dining district. Tons of outdoor cafes, restaurants, and shops. (Ice Box, Nexxt, and Sushi Samba are all on Lincoln Road) Shops range from local boutiques, to tourist souvenir shops, and national stores, like Banana Republic, Anthropologie etc.

Ocean Drive is another outdoor area along the beach. More touristy with bars, restaurants, etc.

Dress Code
During the day walking around Ocean Drive or Lincoln Road I wore my bathing suit and a cover-up or a cotton dress. VERY causal. For dinners/going out I wore dresses most of the time, but people who were with us wore jeans, pants, or capris and "cute shirts"

1 comment:

BEM1212 said...

Yay! We're a travel blog!