Monday, June 1, 2009

Songs The Cover Band is Playing Outside

I don't know why I am still at work, but at least there's a semi-decent (from a distance, anyway) cover band playing at 7th & Congress. Here is what they've played so far, plus some random comments.
  1. Boys of Summer - I think they actually played a few songs before this, but I didn't exactly take notice until they broke out the Don Henley. I can see him in sepia, riding in the back of a truck down some main street (I have some strange memory that it's Waxahachie).
  2. That song that's something like..."This town is taking its toll [beat] on me" I don't think that's right, though.
  3. China Grove - I had to do a dance to this song at a football halftime show, and I haaaated it. Surprisingly, I don't remember a single step.
  4. Let's Stay Together - Mia and I sang this as a duet during the first karaoke party at my house.
  5. Let's Groove Tonight - My 3rd grade teacher used to play music for us, and I distinctly remember this song from that time. I mostly listened to country music (and she let me play my Oak Ridge Boys and Alabama tapes, too), but oh how did I love the part about "boogie....on down...on down...boogie on down." I did a little chair dance tonight.
  6. Summer of 69 - that is when my parents got married, and I think that every time I hear that song.
  7. Love Isn't Always on Time
  8. Carry On My Wayward Son - one time I found a Best of Kansas tape on sale for one dollar at the Wal-Mart in Vivian, Louisiana.
  9. Maggie May - I think this is the only Rod Stewart song I love. Must be the mandolin.
  10. Any Way You Want It - I think it's time for me to go home...

11 comments:

Boxcar said...

Really? That's the best you can do for #2? Now that's gonna bug me all day!

BEM1212 said...

I think #2 is the song by the band I commonly mistakenly called "Crimon Tide" -- I could never remember their name. I do now though, it is "Maroon 5" and I think (without googling, which I am tempted to do) that the line is "This *love* has taken its toll [beat] on me." I am totally guessing (but true to my humble-but-conceited fashion) I am also pretty sure that I am totally right.

BEM1212 said...

*that's "Crimson Tide"

Julie said...

Prolly so. I don't know the Crimson Tide band. I had heard the song before, but obviously not enough to ever listen to the lyrics. Or it may have been Freudian.

Julie said...

What would YOUR random thoughts be for this set list?

Julie said...

List Challenge!

BEM1212 said...

Well, regardless, if I am right, it is only due to your brilliance in including the [beat] part. Without that I would have had no idea. I kept doing that sentence in my head and it was only the [beat] that led me to the realization that it was that shitty ass Crimson Tide band.

Are you saying that you and Austin are having problems? Don't let Austin treat you like that. Maybe you just need some space. Time for a trip.

BEM1212 said...

whoa, that's a lot of comments in a row Julie. My comment above "well regardless..." is in response to your comment "prolly so...."

I am not sure I understand what exactly is this List Challenge but I will accept it with my own interpretation and see what we get.

After lunch though.

Boxcar said...

Thank you, Blaine. You are right (and yet, so humble). And yes, it was only possible thanks to Julie posting (beat). And now, I can't get that horrible song out of my head.

Julie said...

Well, I could see the List Challenge going one of two ways. You take my list of songs and provide random thoughts/associations about each one, but the reason I enjoyed making my list was because I was actually hearing the songs (side note: when I walked out at street level, I couldn't hear the band anymore). So you could just shuffle and ramble on about whatever iTunes thinks you should hear right now.

Yes, I know that was a lot of comments in a row, but I thought of making it a challenge as I hit send, and I hate that "this comment has been removed" tag.

BEM1212 said...

I agree. I like the historical aspect of not deleting comments. I will work on your challenge.

In the meantime, I would like to curse you for I, like Jon, have Crimson Tide stuck in my head. All day.