Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Decade in Review 4 - Movies

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and it just seems impossible for me to do. Especially in a top 10 format. So I am just going to throw some thoughts out there and see where we end up.

  • I think the best movie of the whole decade is In the Mood for Love way back in 2001. I just didn't see anything better. Probably won't.
  • The Lord of the Rings was one of the best things that ever happened. It made me feel like that time when I was a kid and I got to go to Disney World three years in a row.
  • Sticking with 2001, if it weren't for the hobbits or Wong Kar Wai, I'd say that The Royal Tenenbaums was the best of that year.
  • I can't believe No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood came out in the same year. And then The Diving Bell and the Butterfly on top of that.
  • I am still kind of mad that Master and Commander came out the same year as Return of the King and got its thunder stole. I love Peter Weir.
  • I can not believe these movies did not get nominated for Best Picture: The Constant Gardener; A History of Violence; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
  • Dancer in the Dark, Requiem for a Dream, You Can Count on Me, Erin Brockovich, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon all came out in 2000. How about a 5 way tie for Best Actress, and also Best Picture while we're at it? Aw, man - why'd you give it to (--MollyShannon-as-LizTaylor--) "Gladiatah"!?
  • I've never been a comic book or graphic novel reader, but American Splendor and Ghost World almost changed my mind.
  • Nothing was funnier than Best in Show, except for maybe Wet Hot American Summer.
  • If I could understand Spanish, I would go to sleep every night watching Talk to Her. Instead I try to find Gosford Park, like I did last night.
  • Lars and the Real Girl is the boy version of Muriel's Wedding, and I love it just as much.
  • Because I have a film degree, I must also say that Mulholland Drive is brilliant. (I think?)
Well, hm. That's ...23. Break out the LOTRs and it's 25! I love an even number. I like this stream of conciousness thing. Who's ready for me to blow up the comments section with omissions?!

****
Update. Cheating. I am eta:
  • Bourne Trilogy
  • Kill Bill v.1 & 2
  • State and Main

5 comments:

Jon said...

I could be wrong but I think History of Violence may have been based on a graphic novel as well.
I like the stream of consciousness thing -- seems more truthful and makes you less afraid of editing yourself. That last one killed me.

BEM1212 said...

Well, it's a modified stream of conciousness. It still took probably an hour. I had to fact check myself. And I have a confession. When I first finished I had 22. So I cheated and went back and added one. But it was one I can not believe I forgot in the first place. So. What else have I forgotten? I don't want to think about it.

You're right about The History of Violence.

I love these movies. I just want to say it again.

BEM1212 said...

DAMNIT!!! Thanks to Jon - I realized I left off these very important films:

Bourne Trilogy
Kill Bill Duo
and my Mamet movies:
State and Main
Heist

I can't believe I left off the Bourne. IDIOT.

I guess I'm running around 30 now.

Julie said...

Ha, that's funny. I used your list to update my Netflix queue (thanks - though I was also pleased at how many of these I had seen, considering how few movies I actually watch), and I added the Bourne trilogy--BEFORE I read your comment.

Now. Convince me I should want to watch The Diving Bell and the Butterfly??

BEM1212 said...

If I gushed about The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, I would sound silly. And then I would probably need to call it "Le scaphandre et le papillon." ~~~

To be honest -- in my head it's in my top 10, but when I make a list like this, I see that might not be possible. But it should be. You should see it. You speak French --- raison enough.