Monday, January 11, 2010

rambling about Avatar

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS (but who cares)
This will be quick and dirty. I don't have the energy to be intelligent.

Things I loved about Avatar
  • *visually stunning*
  • I loved Dances with Wolves when it came out in 1990, when I was 18, so obviously some part of me must like something about this
Things I liked about Avatar
  • Sam Worthington (this is probably superficial)
  • Sigourney Weaver (this is reverential)
  • when everyone looked like they were in a roller disco in 1984 (blacklight!)
  • the first well-placed arrow near the end
  • those tree seeds. pretty.
  • It made me want to watch Flash Gordon.
Things I did not like about Avatar
  • I thought The Last Samurai was derivative of Dances with Wolves when it came out in 2003.
  • Giovanni Ribisi's next-t0-most ridiculous performance (The Other Sister)
  • tentacle sex with everything
  • frisbee lizards
  • blue aliens playing basketball in gym clothes
  • all animals look like gross versions of Earth animals
  • Sigourney Weaver's speeches
  • the nerd
  • Michelle Rodriguez
Things I hated about Avatar
  • the overbearing and inconsistent score
  • Queen did not do the soundtrack
  • the Colonel (as an aside - he's in the closet, I guarantee you)
  • the Colonel's coffee cup
  • the actor that played the Colonel
  • the lack of character development (I am being generous by imagining the Colonel is in the closet)
  • Sigourney Weaver's avatar outfit, hair, and walk
  • the yoga scenes
  • the rally-the-tribes montage
  • Sam Worthington trashtalking to giant hammerheaded elephorhinoceri
  • the fact that there was a nerd, a colonel and Michelle Rodriguez --- a 6th grader in a creative writing class could have conceived of these characters
  • the forced shot of the golf ball
  • all the other forced shots
  • the terrible song that sounds unbelievably similar to *My Heart Will Go On*
  • all the hissing. what are these people, Thundercats? oh wait. Yes.

3 comments:

BEM1212 said...

damnit, I forgot to say it also made me want to watch Xanadu.

Jon said...

a) i think it's safe to say that anyone who was GOING to see Avatard, saw it by now.
b) i wish you would do this for every movie you watch.
c) i like Worthington too, but shouldn't you have, like, 3 movies under your belt before people start calling you the *best actor of our generation (oh, and do something other than action movies)? *James Cameron.
d) Weaver's avatar TEETH and BOOBS.

KNH said...

thank you for confirming that i don't need to see it