Monday, February 11, 2008

things i hate about IM

As a general rule I am a big fan of the IM. How else to you do things like make fun of people, plan lunch and happy hours in the office. However, people have been making me angry on it today so I thought I would soothe my anger with a list. It is much better than banging on my computer.

  1. my boss typing "hey" and then when i respond "yes" he doesn't reply agin for hours
  2. people who type YEAH! for YAY! (copyright P.Jenkins - he brought this to my attention and now i notice it all of the time)
  3. LOL - can't you just say "that is funny?" it is so overused that i never believe anyone is ever actually lauging out loud.
  4. punctuation smiley faces e.g. :) and the really clever ;)

I think #1 is really what I hate...the other things are just annoying.

JSYK my boss is director who also thinks he is cool from my saturday work attire post, and he does everything on this list all of the time.

also the spell check on this thing does not work, so please ignore all of my errors.

7 comments:

Devs said...

"LOL" is lame, but "lolz" is kickass.

I hate it when people use IM as if it were an email. For example:

"Hey there! Hope work is going okay. You never called me back last night, did you ever hear back from Chuck? My back hurts! I'll have to ask Dr. Rick about it when I see him today. The sun is out so be sure to take lunch. Love you babe! xoxo Mom."

That is very nice to receive as an email, but as an IM? how do you respond?

KNH said...

I totally agree. IM is for conversations with people.

That reminds me about my least favorit habit people have on myspace. Using the comment board to send emails.

BEM1212 said...

"That is funny" is much better. I hereby decree TIF my new IM abbrev.

Note: it will also work for "this is funny" which will take care of my IM pet peeve: someone making a joke and then immediately typing "lol" himself/herself before you even have time to lol. Do you really think what you said is so funny that you are lol already?! You're not.

may I also take this opportunity to share with you my own personal abbrev: *coti*, which stands for *chuckling on the inside* and is, to my mind, much more realistic

BEM1212 said...

oh and also with the myspace comments. not only when used as emails but even worse as IMs...

person one's page comments: "wanna party tonight?!"

person two's page comments: "hell yeah. wanna meet up at Pub?"

person one's page comments: "fo shizzle bro, what time?"

etc etc

Devs said...

This is all reminding me of the awesome IM initialism that Martha and I came up with ages ago, COTN (for Coffee Out the Nose). Much, much better than LOL.

Julie said...

TIF, though it could mean "that is funny," to me means tax increment finance. Though today TIFs are really called Tax Increment Reinvestment Zones, or TIRZ. And so I was in a meeting the other day and my boss said something about creating TIRZ, and after a few seconds someone interrupted and said, "I'm sorry. Turds?" And then the meeting fell apart for a few minutes (while everone lol'd).

But much funnier is the IM from Char D.

BEM1212 said...

TIFs are part of sales tax!