Friday, April 3, 2009

RE: "EW greatest villains? Puh-lease" / "my favorite movie villains"

If I made a list (novel idea indeed!) I'd throw a few bones to the following vile humans of recent memory:

Frank Lucas, American Gangster

Wearing the title of “American Gangster,” Mr. Washington had some big shoes to fill, but after slapping on his period-piece-ass hairstyle and scrawling “I will not just reprise my role in ‘Training Day’” onto a blackboard a thousand times, Denzel turned Frank Lucas into one of the most sympathetic big-house-buying heroin kingpins this side of 80’s Mötley Crüe. He doesn’t kill many innocent people, and he never shivs his grandmother with one of his heroin needles, but for a former Sexiest Man Alive, Washington makes a pretty damn good villain. Almost as good as Harry Hamlin, even.

Billy Mitchell, The King of Kong

Has there ever been a more intense scene in a documentary than when Hotsauce McMullet strolled into the Funspot Arcade and refused to make eye contact with Steve Weibe? Before you name a bunch of documentary scenes that definitely were, I’ll answer for you: NO. Whenever I watch documentaries, I’m always intentionally cognizant of the filmmaker’s bias (they totally made those Enron guys look like criminals!) but there was simply no way anyone could come out of this movie and say anything other than the literal sentence, “Man, Billy Mitchell really seems like a douche.”

Ben Linus, Lost

If Michael Emerson offered me a glass of water, I’m pretty sure I’d psychologically tear myself to pieces wondering whether or not to accept it. Still, just when I was beginning to believe that Ben’s cryptic, bug-eyed advice might have been for a greater good, I was treated with a flashback of Ben murdering his father with poison gas because he just daggum couldn’t remember Lil’ Benny’s birthday. Jack’s cathartic pummeling of Ben in the Season 3 finale reminded me of Sam finally beating the crap out of Gollum in the third “Lord of the Rings” movie. But with a goofier looking bad guy, of course.

Anton Chigurh, No Country For Old Men

Ok, so I've never been considered original (sorry Blaine...)

Remorseless, unstoppable, and damn near magical, Javier Bardem’s ghostlike hitman was so damn convincing, I sat in the theater assuring myself that the golden ticket from “Last Action Hero” was real and that Chigurh was definitely going to step out of the screen and murder me. I came away from this film vowing to never pick up a sack of money, use a take-a-penny at a convenience store, accept a Christmas gift, read a magazine at a doctor’s office, or enjoy a sunset, fully convinced that any such actions would result in my being imminently brained by a wacky, air-powered Super Soaker. Maybe George Wendt could protect me?

Kathryn Merteuil, Cruel Intentions

Ok...I now this is a pretty pathetic offering to end with, but what's better than an evil, bored, stuck up bitch who likes to ruin people's lives for fun and deflower virgins for sport? Survey says: Nothing. She is the ultimate bitch. Extra Credit for line delivery: "I wanna f*ck!"

FYI...this flick was released in 1999 and I still have a boner.

Honorable Mention
HAL 9000 - (bested me again Mr. Morris...)
Amon Goeth - Schindler's List
Eve Harrington - All About Eve
Tony Perkis - Heavy Weights

2 comments:

BEM1212 said...

Re: Cruel Intentions - I'll tell you what's worse -- when all that is done to poor sweet, Michelle Pfeiffer!! So I'd like to add Glenn Close, same reasons (minus boner).

Eve! Good call!

Boxcar said...

Wow. Just wow and kudos.