Friday, April 17, 2009

Recent (or upcoming) Movies that Jon and I Could Have Written

  • The Soloist
I doubt we would have come up with Robert Downey, Jr. ,but Jamie Foxx is a shoo-in. I think we probably would have used Adrien Brody, just for Katie. Or maybe Jim Carrey. Still, the plot is a no-brainer (ok, ok, it's based on a true story but still..).
  • State of Play
Everything is right about this movie. The cast reads like a dream line up from a movies-for-sale pitch or, even the old days of Oscar forums (updated for current stars)...Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Jeff Daniels, Jason Bateman, Robin Wright Penn, Viola Davis, and for the prestige factor -- Helen Mirren. Absolutely brilliant. And based on British TV.
I will let Ryan Adams from Awards Daily do the talking....

"Thanks to richard crawford for the wake up call about Sofia Coppola’s next project, announced last night in Variety. Set in the famed celebrity hangout, the Chateau Marmont on Sunset Blvd, the script Coppola’s written centers on a self-involved actor in rascally pursuit of hedonistic pleasures who gets a wake up call of his own when his 11-year-old daughter shows up to help realign his priorities.

If you’re thinking Adrian Brody and Abigail Breslin you’re not thinking hip enough. Colin Farrell and Saoirse Ronan? Too hip. Try Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning. ahh… just right. Another perfect fit is Sophia Coppola and Focus Features, the winning combination behind the hipness of Lost in Translation."

Elle Fanning!!!

17 comments:

Boxcar said...

Man, if only she was autistic! And of course, Sofia is too snobby to work with Matthew McCon-a-hey. That made my day:) Goking awesome!

BEM1212 said...

Somehow I failed to mention you had also written the title song for the film.

(See comments at movies for sale.)

Julie said...

I am a little bit offended that you think you could have written State of Play, since I have been going ON and ON about how awesome the BBC miniseries was.

Boxcar said...

I'm not sure which is more offensive. The fact that Blaine and I think we could have written something that you liked or the fact that you don't think Blaine and I could ever possibly write something you like...

BEM1212 said...

Not the miniseries, just the movie! (And really just the casting.)

Also, I had been a little confused about your love for State of Play since I thought you were talking about the movie. I am sometimes a dolt.

P.S. But what about "If You Only Knew"!!

BEM1212 said...

Also, what Jon said.

Boxcar said...

Also, ours would have gone something like, an ambitious reporter (Russell Crowe) covers a story about an old friend (Ben Afflick) who's involved in a political scandal. But I would have had it turn out that they're lovers.

Boxcar said...

Also, how funny is it that someone is actually making the one "movie for sale" you said you wouldn't see. I guess that's not surprising. You know 'Za is right around the corner. They may even skip 'smooches' and just make the sequel.

Julie said...

haha.
Well, I guess my point is that if it's a Movie For Sale movie, then I am offended. But I can see your point. Fortunately, we will never know because Blaine will never actually write a movie with Jon.

And yes, what a rip-off! Someone is mining for GOLD at Movies for Sale.

BEM1212 said...

1. OSCAR (TM) GOLD.

2. Fortunately?!!?

3. I can dream, though, can't I? All I need to do is quit. Actually I had an idea at lunch today. Perhaps I will share it at MFS over the weekend.

4. I think that part about the *one movie I won't see* is pretty funny.

5. If they make Szbpark, we will be rich because we can sue.

6. This shit is copyrighted, right?

Julie said...

I must have meant unfortunately. Surely I did.

What is Szbpark?

BEM1212 said...

I misspelled it. I meant Smooches II.
http://moviesforsale.blogspot.com/2008/02/smooches-pt-ii-it-all-started-with.html

Boxcar said...

By the way, we DEFINITELY would have cast Adrian Brody in The Soloist. Puh-lease.

Julie said...

I think it is amazing that Blaine can remember the plot of every movie on Movies for Sale, every question the Daily Poll has asked since 1998, and (my old favorite) the college code for UT from when he took the ACT, and can also somehow spell *Smooches II* Szbpark. I do, however, think Jim could easily manage that at 2am.

Questionable Taste said...

I'm compelled to throw a "Hey, leave The Soloist alone!" bone out there, if only for my man crush Joe Wright. I was disappointed when I found out he was following up his Atonement/P&P brilliance with this and even MORE disappointed when I saw the schmaltzy trailer...I'm hoping he elevates the material/performances/music?

BEM1212 said...

college board code 6882!!!

Questionable Taste said...

P.S. - Saw The Soloist a few weeks ago...I retract my earlier statement.