Friday, August 28, 2009

Alcohol-influenced guess at my top 10 women movie performances

Per boxcar's request. I did not read boxcar's list. I reserve the right to argue, defend, revise, rescind...

1. Angela Lansbury -- The Manchurian Candidate
2. Elisabeth Shue -- Leaving Las Vegas
3. Toni Collette -- Muriel's Wedding
4. Bette Davis -- All About Eve
5. Michelle Pfeiffer -- Fabulous Baker Boys. (and Batman Returns. Everything. Hard to refrain...)
6. Alfre Woodard -- Miss Firecracker
7. Holly Hunter -- Broadcast News
8. Susan Sarandon -- Bull Durham
9. Meryl Streep -- Postcards from the Edge (and Sophie's Choice, the best ever, but we're doing favorites...)
10. Angelica Huston -- The Grifters
Uh 10. Emma Thompson -- The Tall Guy. Howards End.
More 10. Madeline Kahn -- What's Up Doc?
More 10. Lili Taylor -- Dogfight
More 10. Grace Kelly -- Rear Window
More 10. Goldie Hawn -- Overboard
More 10. Glenn Close -- Dangerous Liasons
More 10. Maggie Smith -- Murder by Death
More 10. Jane Fonda -- Barefoot in the Park
Must stop now. So so many

15 comments:

Boxcar said...

so...mad...at...myself...for...not...knowing...you...better...ugh...

friggin' broadcast news. Of course!!!!

BEM1212 said...

Regrets no 1 and 2, as noted by boxcar, JJL and Geena "life is pain" Davis.

As just realized by me, Ingrid Bergman, Notorious. Damnit.

BEM1212 said...

Grrr. Make room in the top 10 for Barbara Stanwyck in The Lady Eve. Add Dianne Weist anything in the 10 plus list.

Boxcar said...

Stop adding. You just took my Barbara Stanwyck!!!! I was going to go with Lady Eve/ Double Indemnity.
Um, where did everyone else go? Oh, that's right, we're NERDS.

BEM1212 said...

Ugh. Diane Keaton in Manhattan Murder Mystery. Can I get a what what, Julie?

BEM1212 said...

Ha. Added before I saw your "stop adding" plea.

I am for sure a nerd for this shit. Mind you, I have been sitting at a bar for 3 hours typing all this on a blackberry. Very doubie.

Boxcar said...

I was just going to say how amazed I was that you were home on a Friday night! Also, Cate Blanchett, specifically in The Gift but also, anything else.

Julie said...

What what for sure.
Also, I have seen almost all of these. Almost.

BEM1212 said...

I'm a little annoyed I didn't have a Cate entry but I think I more love her than any one performance. Cuz she is for sure no. 2 on my favorites list. If I had to pick I'd pick Oscar and Lucinda or Charlotte Gray. Or "ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!"

OMG. The Gift. Can I add Hilary Swank's fuckin mullett? Or horsey teeth? For the win!

BEM1212 said...

I;m officially obsessed. I had dreams about this last night. And in my dream I was so mad because I forgot to list Joanne Woodward in Three Faces of Eve.

And then I woke up and remembered Julianne Moore in Safe.

BEM1212 said...

Oh man. Laura Dern in Citizen Ruth.

Which reminds me of Reese Whitherspoon in mother-fuckin Freeway.

And also Hope Davis in Next Stop Wonderland.

KNH said...

all i have to say is wow...i was telling alison about this blog last night so thought i would log in and show her...you all have gone bananas in the last 48 hours.

Questionable Taste said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Questionable Taste said...

Awesome List. If there's one thing I'll always give you props for, it's appreciating (re: f*cking celebrating) an amazing female performance...and for giving me a whole new list of those to see.

But one day you'll have to explain this Pfeiffer thing to me. Outside of the brilliance of Batman Returns, I just don't get it. I suggest a summit. I'll bring a notepad, pencil, and the beer...?

BEM1212 said...

we will need a video device for the viewing of clips, but OK.

haha, Karen said "gone bananas". That has made me laugh a lot. Gone bananas. People don't say that enough anymore.