Friday, August 28, 2009

Alcohol-influenced top 10 female performances

I will come out of the closet soon, I'm sure of it...

1) Renee Zellweger - Chicago *
2) Rebecca Pidgeon - State and Main **
3) Claire Danes - Starlight
4) Lena Olin - Romeo is Bleeding
5) Gene Tierney - Laura
6) Cate Blanchett - The Gift
7) Meryl Streep - Postcards From the Edge
8) Laura Linney - You Can Count On Me
9) Linda Fiorentino - The Last Seduction ***
10) Rita Hayworth - Gilda

* This performance I would equate to that of the writing of Harper Lee. If this were the only performance anyone had ever seen of Miss Zellweger, everyone would think she was the greatest actress to ever live. Therefore, imagine if Harper Lee had gone on to write The Firm, The Notebook, and Men are from Mars...

** She is, no doubt, a horrible actress. But she's maybe also a genius and regardless, I could watch this movie on a constant loop (surprisingly because of her and not Mamet)

*** Hell yes.

7 comments:

BEM1212 said...

I was forming this list in my head last night, and I would have gotten Lena Olin right. I would have put Linda Fiorentino at Number 1. I would have picked Rebecca Pidgeon but for Spanish Prisoner or Heist.

State and Main is so ridiculously wonderful.

I would have predicted you'd say Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club and Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Two I considered for myself.

BEM1212 said...

Go you Huskies!

Julie said...

Wow. I have only seen 4 of these. I think my "I haven't seen any movies" posts are tedious, too, but since I broke the streak with Blaine's list, I get this one for free.

BEM1212 said...

Not tedious. Shocking!

but i haven't seen Sports Night, Buffy, anything past episode 6 of Mad Men (about to watch ep7 right now), Alias, Gilmore Girls, West Wing, Once and Again etc etc etc ...

Make some TV lists! We need variety anyway.

Also*thanks be to Julie for making me watch Postcards from the Edge many years ago.

BEM1212 said...

I forgot to add that I was excited to see Stardust made the cut. You really did like it huh?

Rainbows, stars, hearts and unicorns, I'm telling you. I want a trapper keeper with a Stardust theme for school this year.

Boxcar said...

i liked it so much i wanna take out behind the middle school...

Questionable Taste said...

Love the shout out to State and Main. Agreed, "ridiculously wonderful" - and I guess casting your wife does work out from time to time.

I go back and forth on #1. Love the movie, love CZJ, lovvvveeee Mr. Gere...but it seems like each time I watch it, I'm polarized on her. Bonus kudos on the insightful Harper Lee analogy.