Friday, August 21, 2009

A Few Early Oscar Thoughts...

- Even with the expanded set, Shutter Island fails to receive a Best Picture/Best Actor/ or Best Director nod*
- Not so sure about Bright Star and Abbie Cornish's chances either...the buzz is deafening, but I'm bored.
- The Best Actress race is over: Carey Mulligan (An Education)
- I'd like to say the same holds true for Morgan Freeman (Invictus), but I'm wondering what those nasty rumors will do for his campaign?
- Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) seems like a no-brainer for the Supporting Actor short list
-No go for Michelle Pfeiffer (Cheri). At the risk of upsetting the List Anything Gods, I ask: when did the mere announcement of a Pfeiffer choice equate to immediate Oscar Speculation?
- As expected, Johnny Depp (Public Enemies) sneaks into the Best Actor list...with little, to no fanfare.
- (500) Days of Summer gets some Original Screenplay kudos
- A heated sci-fi, District 9 vs. Avatar debate resonates, with the former pushing for a Best Picture spot

* So, in a stunning development, I just read the film is getting pushed to 2010. I'll boldly predict (based on the gloriously underwhelming trailer) that it gets shut out then too.

1 comment:

BEM1212 said...

Michelle Pfeiffer lesson number 1:
It isn't immediate Oscar speculation - I think the situation here is that she is 1) in a prestige pic 2) directed by Stephen Frears who 3) is awesome and 4) directed her to her first nomination in Dangerous Liasons. BUT she won't make it.

Lesson 2 (topic only, no back-up or discussion provided):
She's the best!

I hope this Carey Mulligan thing is not a sure thing because people are talking about it way too soon and I am already annoyed (hello Marion Cotillard redux).

Ditto boredom on Invictus. It's not even fair.

I don't see the Johnny Depp happening. That movie isn't going to stick around that long I don't think. But who knows.

I'm glad you avoided any discussion of Hilary Swank but I am very very very very nervous.